Present Simple Tense
The present simple tense is a verb tense used to describe actions or situations that are currently happening, that happen regularly, or that are generally true. In English, it is often formed by adding an -s or -es suffix to the base form of the verb when used with the third person singular (he, she, it) in the affirmative form.
• I walk to work every day. (first person singular)
• She eats breakfast at 7 am. ( third person singular)
• They always watch a movie on Friday nights. ( third person plural)
It can also be used in the negative form by adding the auxiliary verb “do” or “does” before the base form of the verb, followed by “not” (or its contracted form “n’t”).
• I do not eat meat. (negative / first person singular)
• She does not like coffee. (negative /third person singular)
• They do not play video games on weekdays. (negative / third person plural)
Exercices with keys
Exercise 1: Complete the sentences with the correct form of the present simple tense
- My brother —————– (work) in a bank.
- She —————– (like) to read books in her free time.
- They —————– (play) basketball every Saturday.
- He —————– (live) in New York City.
- We —————– (study) English at school.
- The sun —————– (rise) in the east.
- I —————– (listen) to music when I’m driving.
Exercise 2: Rewrite the sentences in the negative form using the present simple tense.
- I like to play tennis.
- They eat pizza for dinner.
- She studies Spanish at school.
- We visit our grandparents on Sundays.
- He watches TV every night.
Exercise 3: Rewrite the sentences in the interrogative form using the present simple tense.
- She works at a restaurant.
- They listen to music in the car.
- He plays soccer every weekend.
- We eat breakfast at 7 am.
- I study French at night.
Exercise 4: Choose the correct form of the present simple tense.
- My sister (drive / drives) to work every day.
- We (have / has) a big family.
- The cat (sleep / sleeps) on the sofa.
- They (go / goes) to the gym three times a week.
- He (watch / watches) a movie every Friday night.
Exercise 5: Put the words in the correct order to make sentences using the present simple tense.
- watches / she / TV / every / night.
- work / he / does / on / weekends?
- they / basketball / play / Saturdays / on.
- speak / they / English / fluently.
- likes / she / to / dance.
Exercise 6: Complete the sentences with the correct form of the present simple tense of the verbs in parentheses.
- My mother ————– (cook) dinner every evening.
- The train ————– (arrive) at 8 am.
- We ————– (study) hard for the exam.
- The birds ————– (sing) in the morning.
- He ————– (play) the guitar very well.
- I ————– (read) a book every night.
- The students ——————- (listen) to the teacher carefully.